FAQ Banner

Select any of the headings below for additional information regarding frequently asked about topics. For more information please call the Human Resources office at 402-727-3016.

Accidents at Work / Work Injuries

Injured at Work? FPS has a 24-hour ONCall Nurse Hotline Number to call!
Call 1-844-322-4668

ONCall Nurse will connect you to a nurse who can immediately assess your injury and recommend the best course of action, whether that is home care or directing you to a qualified healthcare provider.

Who Does This Apply To?

  • All Employees will begin reporting injuries via ONCall Nurse starting January 1, 2020. This is all people who are paid by Fremont Public Schools including classified and certified staff, administrators, supervisors, substitutes, interpreters, translators, and anyone who may work outside of a District building.
  • This does NOT apply to students or guests of the District

How Will It Work?

For Serious Injuries:

  • If serious enough to require immediate medical assistance – do not call ONCall Nursefirst; seek treatment
  • Make your Administrator/Supervisor aware
  • Call when safe to do so (we recommend to include an Administrator/Supervisor on the call if they are available)

For Non-Serious Injuries

  • Make Administrator/Supervisor aware
  • Call same day or within 24 hours
  • FPS highly recommends including your Administrator/Supervisor on the call if at all possible
  • If pain/injury becomes apparent at a later time, reporting the injury at that time is appropriate and encouraged
  • If questioning whether or not to call — please call and report.

What to Expect When You Call

  • The average call time is approximately 15 minutes.
  • You will be given a REFERENCE NUMBER at the time of the call
    • Write down your reference number
    • Use this number if you need to call back for further assistance or if your condition changes – even if a few days later!


Blue Cross Blue Shield: Fremont Public Schools offers health and dental insurance plans to eligible employees. Open Enrollment for all health and dental benefits is in August of each year. This period allows employees to enroll in or change current benefit options for the following year. Plan participants also have an open enrollment window each December that allows them to change deductibles. If you have a Familial Status Change (e.g. marriage, birth or adoption of a child, divorce, loss of coverage, etc.) you may qualify for a special enrollment period. Contact the Human Resources office with any questions. BCBS has an online portal available to members. To access BCBS myblue online, visit https://members.nebraskablue.com/. If you wish to cancel your insurance, you’ll need to complete a cancellation form (located in the Document Library) and send it to Human Resources. Coverage can be cancelled at any time.

Health Savings Account (HSA): A Health Savings Account (HSA) is a tax-exempt trust or custodial account you set up with a qualified HSA trustee to pay or reimburse certain medical expenses you incur. You must be an eligible individual to qualify for an HSA. No permission or authorization from the IRS is necessary to establish an HSA (IRS Publication 969). FPS partners with Fremont National Bank (FNB) to manage this option for our employees. If you enroll in the high-deductible, HSA-eligible health insurance plan, you may be eligible for an HSA. Please contact a FNB personal banker to discuss why an HSA may be a good choice for you.

Met Life Insurance: All certified employees (regardless of BCBS enrollment) and eligible classified employees are provided a $10,000 life insurance policy through Met Life at no charge to the employee.

Short Term Disability Insurance: The district works with outside providers to offer employees short term disability plans to purchase. What is short term disability insurance? Short Term Disability insurance pays a percentage of your salary if you become temporarily disabled or unable to work for a short period of time due to sickness, injury, or childbirth. (This excludes on-the-job injuries, which are covered by workers compensation insurance.)

Long Term Disability Insurance: All certified employees and eligible classified employees qualify for a long term disability policy through Met Life.  LTD is an insurance policy that covers a portion of an employee’s income if the employee has become injured or seriously ill. The Met Life policy FPS offers has a 90 day elimination period.

Retirement: Employees who work twenty or more hours per week are automatically members of NPERS (Nebraska Public Employees Retirement System). A state-mandated percentage is deducted from each check to contribute to the defined benefit plan.

Travelers Identity Fraud: Identity theft is one of the fastest growing crimes in the country today. The FPS District has purchased an Identity Fraud Expense Reimbursement policy from Travelers Bond & Financial Products in order to provide you, your spouse, qualified domestic partner, children under 18, and parents with this valuable coverage. The coverage limit is $10,000 and can help identity theft victims with expenses related to lost wages and other fees related to identity theft.

Flexible Spending Accounts: A flexible spending account (FSA) is a special account you put money into that you use to pay for certain out-of-pocket health or dependent care costs. You don’t pay taxes on this money. You will need complete an online enrollment by the August deadling each year if you want to participate. Information is shared during open enrollment about the health and dependent care plans.

Colonial Cancer Insurance: Colonial Life offers a cancer coverage insurance plan that can provide assistance with expenses related to a cancer diagnosis. Eligible employees may enroll each year during open enrollment.

AFLAC: FPS works with AFLAC to offer pre-tax, voluntary benefits to our employees. Several plans are offered such as Cancer, Hospitalization, Accident Insurance policies, and more. Employees may enroll during open enrollment every fall.

Vision Insurance: Employees who work twenty or more hours a week are eligible to enroll in the VSP Vision Insurance plan during open enrollment or at the time of their hire.

YMCA Payroll Deduction: You may have your YMCA membership fees set up as a payroll deduction or bank withdrawal. The YMCA waives the registration fee for all FPS employees, so be sure to let them know you’re a Tiger!

Tuition Assistance:

Voluntary Life Insurance:

403b Plans:


Staff information related to COVID-19 can be found at the HR Document Library under ‘COVID-19’.

District Holidays

Twelve-month employees that work an average of 35 hours per week and work (or take vacation) the regular working day before and the regular working day after the holiday will receive pay for the following holidays:

New Year’s Day
Martin Luther King Jr. Day
President’s Day
Memorial Day
Fourth of July
Labor Day
Thanksgiving Day
Day after Thanksgiving
Christmas Eve Day
Christmas Day

10 1/2 month office associates will receive pay for the following holidays only:

Martin Luther King Jr. Day
President’s Day
Memorial Day
Labor Day
Day after Thanksgiving

Employee Assistance Program

MetLife Employee Assistance Program – Available for all certified staff, 12 month classified staff, and 10.5 month classified staff.

Lincoln Financial Group – The resources below are available to staff members who are enrolled in the voluntary life insurance through Lincoln Financial Group.

Online Will Preparation

Travel Support

LifeKeys Flier

MetLife – The resources below are available for all staff.

Dignity Funeral Planning

Grief Counseling

Wills Center


Family Changes (Marriage, Divorce, Childbirth, Adoption, Custody arrangements, Death, etc.)

If your family has changed you may need to update your paperwork with the HR office. Family changes may result in the following:

  • Special enrollment period for health/dental insurance to change coverage or dependents
  • Changing beneficiaries on insurance policies
  • Name Changes
  • Banking Changes
  • Tax Changes

See the HR document library for name change forms, beneficiary change forms, or insurance information. Please also contact the HR office so we can be sure you have everything you need.


If you have been out for 3 or more consecutive days for an illness that you think might qualify for FMLA, please contact the Human Resources office. The Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) is a federal law that guarantees eligible employees up to 12 work weeks of unpaid leave each year with no threat of job loss.

Read the District’s policy on FMLA here (pages 115-121).

Contact the HR office with questions regarding leave. If you know you will be out for a reason you think may qualify for FMLA, contact us right away. It is best to complete all paperwork prior to your absence whenever possible.

Grievance Procedure

The FPS grievance procedure is explained in detail in the employee handbooks which can be found in the Form & Document Library. Please review your handbook and reach out to the HR office with any additional questions or concerns.


The Payroll office is a subsection of the FPS Business Office and can be reached at 727-3010.

The District pay period runs from the 1st-end of every month with payday on the 20th of the following month. In the event that the 20th falls on a holiday or weekend, employees will be paid the nearest prior business day.

See the HR Documents Library for Payroll forms such as the direct deposit form and a link to the current W-4.

Time sheets may be obtained from the administrative office at each building or from the payroll office.


All employees working twenty or more hours a week are required to contribute to the Nebraska Public Employees Retirement System (NPERS). For more information on NPERS, visit the NPERS Website. 

The District encourages all participants to understand their retirement benefits by attending workshops that are held periodically each year. Notices will be sent to all employees when those workshops are scheduled.

If you are nearing retirement, please contact NPERS with questions regarding your benefit.

Teaching Certificates

All teachers are required to have a current teaching certificate on file in the HR office by August 31st each year (earlier if possible). Teachers are not allowed to teach with an expired certificate. When you receive your updated certificate, please send a copy (front and back) to the HR office. We do our best to notify teachers when a certificate is about to expire. However, it is the teacher’s responsibility to ensure their certificate is always current.

*Please be sure you have your own copy of your certificate prior to sending to the HR office.

Updating Contact Information

It’s important the HR office is aware of changes in your contact information. This affects notifications for inclement weather, where tax documents are sent, and more. Please inform the HR office of any of the following personal changes:

  • Name Change
  • Address Change
  • Phone Number Change
  • Emergency Contact Change
  • Marital Status Change

Certified Employee Salary Advancement

Certified staff: If you have taken graduate courses and want them considered for salary advancement, all official transcripts must be in the HR office no later than the first Friday in September. If you have your document, please send it in as soon as possible. Unofficial transcripts and grade slips may be accepted if the course was taken later in the year and transcript is not available yet.

See the Certified Employee Handbook and the Negotiated Agreement regarding salary advancement. Continuing education must be:

  • Graduate level coursework
  • Related to the field of education or an endorsement area
  • From an accredited institution for higher learning

Our employees are our most valued resources.

If you would like to review the District’s Statement of NonDiscrimination, please visit the FPS Statement of NonDiscrimination.